Equine Vaccination update 11th May 2020
Following discussion with local colleagues and advice from the British Veterinary Association we are now in a position to re-commence some equine vaccinations where they can be safely done.
In the first instance we would aim to vaccinate horses and ponies about to lapse to avoid having to re-start. For those animals that have lapsed we will be running a vaccine amnesty where the second vaccine is given free of charge later in the year once the current restrictions have eased.
To enable us to comply with the social distancing required we will be sending two people to these calls, one to hold the horse and one to administer the vaccine. This will guard against the unwitting spread of COVID 19 and your cooperation in ensuring this is essential. Your safety and that of our team remains paramount.
We do need your help however to make this run smoothly, however.
If you would like to have your horse vaccinated please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org , giving your details including contact phone number, the horses name and when the vaccine is due to expire. If you can’t email us, a call will be fine but please bear in mind our lovely receptionists may be busy dealing with emergencies. We will then call you back to arrange a mutually suitable time and date. Currently our normal routine area visits have been suspended but we hope to re-start them again once restrictions ease.
The Thrums Team
Due to the restrictions placed on all of us, during this period of lock-down we have made some changes to our equine services. We remain here for you and your horses 24/7, but please read below for more details:
- Visits and physical examinations will only be carried out for emergency cases. If you are concerned about the welfare of your horse or pony please contact us in the normal way. Where a visit has to be made we ask that only one person attend and they keep a minimum distance of 2m from our staff. If anybody in the household or yard has been showing symptoms of Covid-19 or is self-isolating, we MUST be informed prior to arrival.
- Where appropriate we will be able to offer a consultation with a vet via telephone or video call.
- All routine work such as dentals, vaccinations and mild lamenesses have been postponed until such time as we get notification from The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons that it is safe to do so.
- Medications will still be available to pick up. Please order these in advance by telephone. On arrival for collection, please phone the surgery again and we will be able to set the medications out for you.
- All influenza vaccinations have been postponed. We are reviewing the available options should courses require to be restarted. Other vaccinations, such as tetanus, will be reviewed on a case by case basis by a vet.
If we can be of any further assistance during this difficult time, please do not hesitate to contact us, but please be aware our phone lines can be very at times. Thank you for your patience and understanding at this time, and please check back here or our social media channels for the most recent updates.